Vocational Rehabilitation

This benefit is based on a recognition that you will not be able to return to your pre-injury job. Benefits may be available to help you train for a new kind of job.

You may be entitled to Vocational Rehabilitation (Job Training) benefits if:

  • A doctor says you have physical restrictions that prevent you from returning to your pre-injury job or the job you were retrained to do;
  • Your employer at the time you were injured has not offered you a permanent “light-duty” job you can do with your restrictions;
  • You are unable to return to work at 80 percent of the wage you were receiving at the time of your injury.
  • You cannot find a job on your own in your area within your physical restrictions. (Your marketable skills will be considered.)

Effect of Permanent Impairment(NRS 616C.590)
The length and type of program you may qualify for depends upon the percentage of your permanent impairment (see the section on Permanent Partial Disability) and your abilities and interests. 
(NRS 616C.555(3))

Second Program:
You may be eligible for a second program if your first program did not retrain you to a job you can perform within your restrictions. 
(NRS 616C.555(9))

50 Mile Rule:
Services may be available to eligible workers who live outside Nevada within 50 miles of the border, or who live in-state but need benefits out-of-state within 50 miles of the border. You may get services in a state bordering Nevada if you show that such services are more cost-effective than in-state. 
(NRS 616C.580)

Vocational Rehabilitation Buyout
Contact NAIW for information if you are offered a buyout, before you agree to one.
(NRS 616C.595)

You cannot appeal failure to offer a buyout or the amount of the sum offered but you can negotiate with the insurance company about the amount of the buyout.

Buyout Amount:
The minimum lump sum amount you are entitled to varies with your Permanent Partial Disability evaluation, but the insurer is not allowed to offer less than 40% of the value of the vocational rehabilitation maintenance benefits you are entitled to.

Out-of State Workers:
If you live out-of-state (greater than 50 miles from the Nevada border), generally a buyout is your only rehabilitation benefit.